Study Permit And Post Graduation Work Permit In Canada

The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) runs a postgraduate program. The essence of this program is to enable international students to get an open work permit which is valid for 3 years. The good thing is that a job offer isn’t compulsory when applying.

Without gainsaying, Canada is known for its standard educational system. The Post Graduation Work Permit is not included in the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirements.

You can always gain enough work experience during this period which can help you to secure permanent residency via Express Entry. Read on to find out how to get a Canadian study and Post Graduation Work Permit.


Here are some of the requirements of most universities:

  • Recent Passport Photograph
  • English/French proficiency
  • A declaration of your financial abilities with proof that you can take care of your needs.

Choosing your preferred institution and course

Even though the Canadian academic system supports changing courses, it’s important to choose your preferred course when submitting your application.

Language proficiency test

This is a basic requirement for all international students planning to further their studies in the North American country. Set aside time to boost your French or English language skills.

How to apply for a Canadian study permit

The next thing is to apply for the Canadian study permit once your preferred university approves your admission. Make sure that you attach your proof of financial ability, acceptance letter, and passport when submitting your study permit form.

How to Apply for a post-graduation work permit

Here are the conditions that foreign students must fulfill before they can be eligible for a post-graduation work permit:

  1. A valid study permit
  2. The student must be currently enrolled in an academic program that runs for a minimum of 8 months.
  3. The student must apply within 90 days after completing the program.
  4. The student must have graduated from any of the following:
    • A private post-secondary school that adheres to the same rules followed by public schools.
    • A private institution that is based in Canada and has the power to confer degrees according to the provincial statute.
    • A public post-secondary school that includes a university, technical school or college.